The EXPLORER 510 satellite terminal is a global WiFi hotspot with Internet speeds of up to 464 Kbps to any in-range wireless device such as laptops, tablets and smartphones. What makes the 510 different from other BGAN terminals is it includes smartphone integration. The “Explorer Control App” gives total control over the 510, such as displaying signal strength, overall usage (in Megabytes), and allowing you to send or receive texts (including using your iPhone iMessage or other texting program).
It also turns your smartphone into a satellite phone to place or receive phone calls from anyone in the world. The 510 is the most portable BGAN on the market and surprisingly one of the least expensive. It is ideal for all applications in remote or urban locations that require Internet and phone anywhere.
Professional performance Whether you’re reporting the news, exploring for natural resources, doing commercial or government business or helping people in emergencies, EXPLORER 510’s high quality voice and broadband up to 464 kbps offer the performance you need to carry out your work in the field. Regardless of location or environment, with EXPLORER 510 you can make and receive calls, use email, access the web, connect to your corporate network, stream video & audio, and harness the power of work specific IP applications to make sure you get the job done.
Cobham Explore 510 Setup
This short video demonstrates just how quick and easy it is to setup the Cobham EXPLORER 510. The video includes the major stages in setup – using the EXPLORER Connect App available from iTunes and Google Play.
- One-button auto-connect to the Internet (after pointing). Easy to use by anyone
- Operates with all BGAN Internet service plans, Monthly or prepaid, or streaming
- High-speed Internet up to 464 Kbps down, 448 Kbps upload
- The most portable BGAN terminal 7.8″ x 7.8″ x 1.6″ inches (202 / 202 / 51.8 mm)
- Very lightweight – 3.1 lbs (1.4 kg)
- 330 feet WiFi range (100 meters). Excellent for working indoors, or at a distance
- Connects with up to 11 devices (laptops, smartphone, tablets) simultaneously
- Can be on the phone and Internet at the same time
- Web interface for connectivity options, usage logs, call logs, many hidden features
- Operates in very cold or very hot weather at -25°C to +55°C / -13°F to +131°F
- Use your iPhone or Android phone to make/receive calls over BGAN
- SMS texting from your smart device including iMessage on the iPhone
- USB port for Ethernet (with included adapter), or recharging port for other devices (1 amp)
- CE, FCC, GMPCS and IC certified
- 2 year standard warranty with 3 and 5 year extended warranties available.
- Professional performance – Whether you’re reporting the news, exploring for natural resources, doing commercial or government business or helping people in emergencies, EXPLORER 510’s high quality voice and broadband up to 464 kbps offer the performance you need to carry out your work in the field.
- Near Global Coverage – Regardless of location or environment, with EXPLORER 510 you can make and receive calls, use email, access the web, connect to your corporate network, stream video & audio, and harness the power of work specific IP applications to make sure you get the job done.
- Ultra-portable – At 200mm x 200mm x 50mm, EXPLORER 510 is smaller than a standard laptop and weighs less than 1.4 kg. In fact, it’s the smallest EXPLORER BGAN terminal ever but despite its compact size it delivers reliable communication in any conditions.
- Reliable connectivity EXPLORER 510 draws from the established EXPLORER legacy, offering the same high-quality materials and manufacturing, but featuring a whole new design direction for this leading series of satellite terminals. Media, government, humanitarian and utility users know that EXPLORER terminals are designed and built to last.
- Dimensions: 7.8 / 7.8 / 1.6 inches, (202 / 202 / 51.8 mm)
- Weight (with battery): 3.1 lb (1.4 kg)
- Standard IP Data: up to 464 kbps
- Streaming IP Data: 32, 64, and 128 kbps
- Voice: 4 kbps (standard voice) and 3.1 kHz audio/64 kbps (premium voice)
- Text: 160 characters
- Simple User Interface: WLAN LED, Status LED, Power Button, USB host, and web interface
- WLAN Access Point: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
- USB Port: Version 2.0 (host); charging up to 1A
- Robustness: 1.64 ft drop onto concrete (operational, 95% survival)
- Ingress Protection against water and dust: IP-66 Compliant (TBC)
- External DC and AC Power: 10.5 to 32 volts DC (15 volts standard), 100 to 240 VAC 47-63Hz. – Connector is 2.5 mm EIAJ RC-5320-IV
- AC/DC Power Supply: 100 to 240 VAC, 47 to 63 Hz, 50 W. DC output is 19 volt DC
- Usage Times (On a full battery):
- Stand-by time (TBC): 36 hours, 0°C/+32°F to 55°C/+131°
- Standard call: 3hours, 0°C/+32°F to 55°C/+131°
- RX Internet – 100% receive time max .: 3hour 30m @ 128kbps (25°C / 77°F)
- TX Internet – 100% transmit time max.: 2hour 15m @ 128kbps (25°C / 77°F)
- Power Consumption:
- Standby / transmit: 0.8W / 14W (typical)
- During charging: 38W (max.)
- Connector type 2.5mm EIAJ RC-5320-IV
- Humidity: 95% non-condensing at +40°C/+104°F
- Operational Temperature: –25°C to +55°C / -13°F to +131°F
- Storage Temperature: -40°C to +80°C / -40°F to +176°F
- Battery Storage Times:
- 1 month: -20°C / -4°F to +60°C / +140°F
- 3 months: -20°C / -4°F to +45°C / +113°F
- 1 year: -20°C / -4°F to +20°C / +68°F
- Battery recharge time: Less than 3 hours (at 0°C / +32°F to +45°C /+113°)
- Inmarsat Frequencies:
- 1518.0 – 1525.0 MHz (Rx) (EMEA)
- 1525.0 – 1559.0 MHz (Rx)
- 1626.5 – 1660.5 MHz (Tx)
- 1668.0 – 1675.0 MHz (Tx) (EMEA)
- Packaging Contents: Explorer 510 BGAN terminal, Explorer 510 soft carrying case, Integrated rechargeable Li-Ion battery, AC/DC 100-240 VAC recharger with international Adapters, USB to Ethernet adapter cable, USB extension cable, Manuals and Launchpad software on USB flash drive or the 510 web interface (192.168.0.1)
Making calls with the EXPLORER Connect App
This short video shows how easy it is to use your own phone to make make calls over BGAN using the EXPLORER Connect App available from iTunes and Google Play.